Homemade Gin, round 4!
This batch builds very slightly on the recipe of round 3, adding a touch more juniper, a bit more peppercorn, and a bit more citrus; this time California Lemon.
I’d like to thank my son and his girlfriend for the very neat small bottles for gin making. They were a Christmas gift and work very well. The only minor issue is they don’t hold quite 375 ml of liquid. Therefore this batch is actually about 340 ml.
Here’s the ingredients and weights and times for this batch:
Juniper, 10gm (about 5 teaspoons)
Coriander, 2gm (about 1 teaspoon)
Cardamon, 2 Pods broken
Green peppercorn, 4 corns
All of these items I put into 340 ml of 100 proof Vodka.
None of these were ground up, and only the cardamon was broken up.
Prior to adding Vodka and just after. Notice that most of the botanicals float.
+30 hours: I added the following.
California Lemon Peel, 6 gms (not quite 1 tablespoon)
I also tried the gin, just to see how it was going and it was quite good, spicy, junipery, but with just a hint of bitterness.
You can see that some of the botanicals float and some sink. The white material at the bottom is the Lemon Peel.
+42 hours: I strained all remains and remnants from the liquid.
At this point the gin definitely tasted like gin should. Lots of juniper, slight pepper, and a bit of earthiness. The previous slight bitterness seemed absent, or at least unnoticeable.
The final product; well after a few samples of course. After sitting for another couple of days the flavors seemed to smooth out just a bit and was very drinkable. Again, I haven’t bothered with activated carbon filtering, so the gin is a natural amber color.
Next time I think I’ll go up to 500ml, adjusting the botanical by the same scale and see if increasing the total volume and botanicals is a linear relationship. When I do, I’ll certainly let you know how it goes.
If you like what you’ve read, please subscribe. If not, please post a comment telling us how and why you disagree.